Special Educational Needs and Disabilities
Campion School and Language College is fully committed to offering a curriculum that enables the best possible progress for all students, regardless of their needs or abilities.
How We Identify Students who may have SEND:
- The process of identification and assessment normally starts through liaison with our feeder primary schools. Relevant staff will visit to meet with primary staff and where appropriate prospective students and parents.
- During the first two weeks of September all Year 7 students are given a reading and spelling test (which will provide reading/spelling ages) as a baseline for further assessment, if appropriate. In addition all Year 7 students will sit a MIDYIS test (Middle Years Information Test) which measures verbal, non verbal, maths and reasoning skills. Information from these assessments is used to determine which students may be in need of literacy and/or numeracy support.
- Requests for support are also considered from various sources including parents and teachers. Some students may personally request support and the School will assess, identify and intervene as appropriate within available resources.
- Information will also be gathered from other agencies where appropriate.
How We Support Students with SEND:
- A range of support is offered to students. This includes access to Teaching Assistants in lessons, intervention programmes such as literacy, numeracy and social support, reduced class sizes and where appropriate alternate provision either in school or with another provider.
How We Will Work with Parents and Other Agencies:
- Information regarding the student will be gathered prior to starting School from parents and other agencies where the student is already known to have SEND.
- Parents will be contacted if assessment or referral indicates that a student has SEND and we will ensure that they are regularly informed by a variety of means of their child’s progress.
- Other agencies and professionals will be consulted and referral will be made, following discussion with parents, where appropriate.