Geography - A-Level

Skills and Qualifications

Students will need to have:

  • the ability to carry out an investigation – devising questions to test a hypothesis
  • the ability to interpret evidence and analyse data
  • the ability to evaluate
  • the ability to justify a decision by arguing a case and reasoning
  • at least a grade B GCSE Geography

By studying this subject you will:

  • develop your social and environmental awareness
  • develop decision making skills involving environmental problems, management issues and locational decision making
  • consider values and develop critical thinking on a range of issues at a variety of scales
  • spatial awareness
  • analytical skills
  • problem solving
  • numeracy and literacy
  • computer skills
  • self management

Method of Assessment

•      Two year course with all exams taken at the end of year 13.

The 3 exams are worth 80 % of the total marks awarded.  An   Independent investigation will account for the remaining 20%. This will be based upon 4 days of fieldwork and will include a residential trip.

Physical Topics

Human Topics

•      Tectonic processes and hazards  Earthquakes and volcanoes

•      Water insecurity

•      Energy security

•      Coastal landscapes

•      Climate change futures


•      Globalisation

•      Super powers

•      Regenerating places

•      Migration, identity and sovereignty   or health human rights and intervention



Career Implications

Studying this subject may lead to a wide variety of career paths, including those involving management, problem solving and decision making. These might include: crime analyst, marketing, conservation, town planning, tourism, environmental conservation, housing association, hazard management and weather forecasting.


If you require further information please contact Zoe Newbery.